- The Cooperative of Falset – Marçà is actively involved in the two projects approved in the last call came, LIFE reWINE and LIFE PRIORAT + MONTSANT. What leads to a centenary cooperative to participate in international sustainability?
The Cooperative from a few years ago we bet on innovation, technology development with the aim to develop products that are more sustainable and environmentally friendly. Through the participation of LIFE projects can apply new techniques and processes in the development of the entire cycle of wine and reduce the waste generated, optimize the use of natural resources and reduce energy consumption, water for the process of winemaking. An example is the fact we participate in the reWINE project, which is to demonstrate the feasibility of a sustainable system for the collection, cleaning and reuse of glass bottles in the wine sector in Catalonia.
- Why did you decide to participate in the LIFE PRIORAT+MONTSANT? And what were the reasons and the most important aspects that influenced the decision?
Participating in the project LIFE PRIORAT + MONTSANT allows us to apply new techniques to achieve the goals set in our cooperative, be more sustainable and respectful with the environment/territory. This objective will be achieved through the participation of our vine-growers and our employees as the show make efficient use of fertilizers, plant protection products and optimize the management of water and waste during the production and wine elaboration. In addition, it opens a new door to create a new model or business concept, where consumers are demanding today because every day they are more motivated to consume higher quality environment products.
- The project LIFE PRIORAT + MONTSANT contribute to the implementation of strategies to reduce the environmental impact of the life cycle of the wine produced in the Priorat region through the implementation of the PEF WINE calculation rules of the European Union. What is important for wineries and cooperatives to be the pioneers in this field?
The wine sector sustainability is an issue that concerns us and proof of this is to participate in the pilot implementation of the PEF WINE calculation rules, whose objective among wine companies, business associations and wineries is to define a robust and scientifically based methodology to measure the environmental footprint of wine to design solutions and methodologies which include all flows of materials and energy associated with the production, processing, bottling, distribution and retail end of product life . In this way, we contribute mainly in promoting the confidence of consumers and wine trade partners as currently being more respectful of the environment is a requirement on the part of society.
- A key aspect of the project is sustainability. Do you believe that the Priorat region will help other national/European regions to improve their vine model using sustainable practices that aim to develop the project?
The Priorat region for a decade has been a region that highlights the quality and uniqueness of our products, which respect and represent our country, a fact that we currently have a great presence in the wine sector and we are a model in the way to produce and develop. If all vine-growers, producers of this region apply the techniques, practices highlighted in this project and improve the current ones we can be a national/European model which will reduce the environmental footprint, the consume of the natural resources and the reduction of the waste produced during the entire cycle of wine.
- In this regard, the Cooperative Falset – Marçà has worked on several projects related to sustainability and innovation. What do you think were the success stories in all of them?
The Cooperative has participated and is participating in various projects related to sustainability because we found that we get favourable results in order to respect the environment, such as by applying techniques to reduce energy consumption the water throughout the production cycle of our products. In addition, we can say that the reWINE project has received strong support of the society because consumers are demanding products with more environmental quality and local products. Therefore, if due to participation in the project LIFE PRIORAT + MONTSANT we generate new processes and innovative techniques throughout the life cycle of wine from production until the arrival of the consumer would get the goal we have set, be more respectful with the environment and be an European model of sustainable production.